El Badi Palace (Arabic: قصر البديع - meaning The incomparable palace) is located in Marrakech, Morocco, and these days it consists of the remnants of a palace commissioned by the Saadian Sultan Ahmad al-Mansur in 1578. The building of the palace was financed by a ransom paid by Portugal after the Battle of Three Kings.
The original building is thought to have consisted of 360 rooms, a courtyard of 135 m by 110 m and a pool of 90 m by 20 m, richly decorated with Italian marble and large amounts of gold imported from Sudan. It also has a small, underground, tunnel-like jail with about four cells where the king kept his prisoners.
The palace, which took approximately 25 years to construct, was torn apart in the seventeenth century by the Alaouite Sultan Moulay Ismail, who used the material obtained from El Badi Palace to decorate his own palace in Meknes.
The design of the palace was influenced by the Alhambra in Granada.
In one of the refurbished pavilions, the Koutoubia minbar is now on exhibition. There is extensive restoration work ongoing at the palace including rebuilding the walls and restoring the pools.