Fortaleza (Portuguese pronunciation: [foʁtaˈlezɐ], Fortress) is the state capital of Ceará, located in Northeastern Brazil. With a population close to 2.3 million (metropolitan region over 3.4 million), Fortaleza is the 5th largest city in Brazil. It has an area of 313 square kilometres (121 sq mi) and the highest demographic density in the country (8,001 per km²). To the north of the city lies the Atlantic Ocean; to the south are the municipalities of Pacatuba, Eusébio, Maracanaú and Itaitinga; to the east is the municipality of Aquiraz and the Atlantic Ocean; and to the west is the municipality of Caucaia. Residents of the city are known as Fortalezenses. The current mayor is Roberto Cláudio, a doctor graduated at the Federal University of Ceará. Fortaleza is one of the three leading cities in the Northeast region together with Recife and Salvador. The city will be one of the host cities of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, for which Brazil is the host nation.
The Theatro José de Alencar is a Brazilian theater, located in the city of Fortaleza, Ceará.
It was officially opened on June 17, 1910 and features eclectic architecture of the theater in art nouveau style, 120-seat auditorium, foyer, stage space open and annex building, with two thousand square feet that houses the Center for the Arts Scenic (CENA), the Teatro Morro do Ouro, with capacity for 90 people, the square Mestre Pedro Boca Rica, outdoor stage and seating for 600 people, the Chamber's Carlos; Gallery Cotoco Ramos, four study rooms and tests; cenotécnica workshops, costume and lighting, the College of Dance of Ceará and the College of Theater Director, Office of Sea Dragon, the Chamber Orchestra of Eleazar de Carvalho, and the course Fundamentals of Theater.
The cornerstone of the theater was launched in 1896, the center of the square of the Marquis Herval today square José de Alencar, but the original design was not realized. In 1904 it was officially authorized the construction of the Theatro José de Alencar, by law 768 of 20 August. On June 6, 1908 the works officially started, and the cast iron parts that make up the structure of the theater were imported from Glasgow, Scotland.
At the beginning of the century, to the architectural design of the Theatro José de Alencar, Captain Bernardo José de Mello imagined a theater garden. But the same garden, was built only years after the opening ceremony, the reform which lasted from 1974 to April 1975. The garden occupies the space next door to the theater, from the east.
The new building, known as the Annex, was incorporated into the Theatro José de Alencar's pension reform from 1989 to 1990.