Cabo de Santo Agostinho (Cape of Saint Augustine) is 35 km south of the city of Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil. Although the official Portuguese discovery of Brazil was by Pedro Álvares Cabral on April 21, 1500, some historians believe that Vicente Yáñez Pinzón already had set anchor in a bay in Cabo de Santo Agostinho on January 26, 1500, which he named Cabo de Santa María de la Consolación.It was incorporated as a town in 1811.
Cabo de Santo Agostinho has both an industrial section that is centered around the Suape port and many tropical beaches and nature reserves. The best known beaches are Calhetas, Paraíso, and Gaibu. In Pedra do Xareu one can find the Recanto do Domingos at the far south end of the beach. Accommodations at beaches can range from inexpensive pousadas (bed and breakfast) to extremely expensive resorts.