Lipótváros (German: Leopoldstadt) is a traditional neighbourhood in the city centre of Budapest, Hungary. It comprises the northern part of District V (Belváros-Lipótváros), north of the Belváros. Lipótváros was established in the early 19th century, and became the political centre of Hungary in the early 20th century when the Hungarian Parliament was moved to Kossuth Square. Many ministries followed in the later decades. After the 1989 change Lipótváros gradually became again the business centre of Budapest with many banks and office buildings. The neighbourhood is rich in listed historic buildings and landmarks.
Lipótváros is located in the centre of Budapest. Its borders are Szent István körút - Nyugati tér - Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út - Deák Ferenc tér - Deák Ferenc utca - Vigadó tér (southern side) - river Danube.
Lipótváros was named in 1790 after Leopold II when he was crowned the King of Hungary. It became the 5th District of Budapest in 1873 but was merged administratively with neighbouring Belváros in 1950 under the same number. The district is now called officially "Belváros-Lipótváros" which means "Inner City and Leopold City".
Budapest (pron.: /ˈbuːdəpɛst/, /ˈbuːdəpɛʃt/ or /ˈbʊdəpɛst/; Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈbudɒpɛʃt] ( listen); names in other languages) is the capital and the largest city of Hungary, the largest in East-Central Europe and the seventh largest in the European Union. It is the country's principal political, cultural, commercial, industrial, and transportation centre, sometimes described as the primate city of Hungary. In 2011, according to the census, Budapest had 1.74 million inhabitants, down from its 1989 peak of 2.1 million due to suburbanization. The Budapest Commuter Area is home to 3.3 million people. The city covers an area of 525 square kilometres (202.7 sq mi) within the city limits. Budapest became a single city occupying both banks of the river Danube with a unification on 17 November 1873 of west-bank Buda and Óbuda with east-bank Pest.