Ieyasu's son, the second shogun Hidetada, ordered the construction of the Nikkō Tōshō-gū. Later, the third shogun Iemitsu had the shrine greatly enlarged and lavishly decorated.
The Tōshō-gū at Ueno Park in Tokyo is also widely known. The Kunōzan Tōshō-gū is in Shizuoka prefecture and rivals Nikkō's for decorative splendor. Another one is the Nagoya Tōshō-gū, constructed in 1619. A Tōshō-gū can also be found at Miyanochō, in Sendai.
During the Edo period, these shrines reached 500 in number. After the Meiji Restoration, many were abandoned, and others united with shrines in the area. Presently, there are about 130 Tōshō-gū.